Thursday 14 June 2007

The Victorians

Spurred by my obsession with the ever dashing Mr. Darcy, I have been immersed with the paraphernalia surrounding Jane Austen's era, or the Regency overlapping to the Victorian to be exact. I find their fashion as intriguing since a lady is encouraged to put her asset (read: cleavage) to the best, while the man is closeted from top to bottom (even their necks were wrapped under their complicated cravats), then there is also the notoriety of the so-called Victorian's morality, and don't make start with the corsets as well as the piano legs. Apart from that I found a good website that answer most of my question, so if you are interested too, just check www.victoriana.com, there is also the website for the erotic diary of Henry Spencer Ashbee under the pseudonym of Walter: My Secret Life (it definitely destroys my preconception that the Victorians are prudes, too much repression?).

No comments: