Sunday 10 June 2007

Tell us your 5 style points

Joined an Indonesian fashion forum last week, hopefully that it can develop into an active and interesting forum. One of the popular topic is about our style points. I'm so afraid that I will end up giving a standard answer and becoming one of those boorish people still gotta give it a shot. To summarize my preference in 5 is kind of difficult for some one as vain as I am but yeah at least these are my style commandments. I always try to stick with them although sometimes they sound so patronising.

1. Fashion is not about wearing the latest collection from the catwalk, it is about looking attractive. It doesn’t hurt when those people stare at you (or me) with admirations (and a tad of envy). Everyone needs their vanities to be flattered and hey you have to be active in that one (spoken like a true narcissus). I don’t think that a 50 years old woman wearing a mini dress and a legging is stylish, not even if you have Susan Sarandon’s figure, unless you are Emmanuelle Alt. Please choose the one that complements your looks best. If you have curves, there is no point of copying Kate Moss, choose Drew Barrymore or Lily Allen instead.

2. Designer piece? Only when I can afford it and turn it into an investment a.k.a. the classics. Several classics that a girl must own: a little black dress, a sexy empowering pair of heels, a reliable bag, a string of pearls, a signature scents, a good tube of moisturizer, a blinding smile and a great confidence. The last one is most important one, look at Beth Ditto, it is most alluring like nothing else.

3. Models are models. They are models because they are the embodiment of the present society’s ideal beauty. And they are the ideal beauties because they have what the rest of the world doesn’t, so I stop begrudging their aliensque figures, if I don’t have it, I simply work on with what I have because no, I did not win that genetic lottery. To think of it, if some people enjoy eating bread with sambal and peanut butter, people also have different tastes on their partners. Actually based on the latest scientific research, human makes their choices of attraction based on the smell, guess that all of those primping simply go into drains. But in case those geeks made a mistake, it is not a bad thing if I still take a good care of my vanity; after all we already evolved from the caveman civilisation. Plan B people!

4. They said that au natural looks took the most efforts, and I thoroughly agree. I invest heavily in a decent moisturizer, a balanced diet and rest. My mom always says that there is no point of wearing heavy make-ups when you will only scare your bf/gf to early grave first thing in the morning. She is pretty wise so I will heed her advice. I supposed that it is definitely an essential investment when you have to start worrying for your wrinkles, unless you don’t mind doing some face jobs (I do because I am scared of needles)

5. When I don’t feel like it, I skip the first 4 points. I simply choose what I want to project from my inner self. I think it is ok to have mistakes, relapses (I still remember that ugly nu rave looks and brownies) or feeling lazy for once in awhile, it proves that I am still human and by no means Anna Wintour. Society pressures will always be present but it is all about enjoying my life, after all it is mine to control. If I have a big figure and happy, I’ll say it is better than being thin and miserable (and it makes you looked aged! Right?).

No comments: